Happy New Year to everyone whenever it arrives for you - for me it's in about five and a half hours time.

I shall be asleep when midnight strikes (can't stay awake that long), but will be woken up when the first firework goes off. Based on previous years since the millennium, they will last for half an hour, then I can go back to sleep again. Having just seen part of the spectacular displays in Sydney, Bejing and HongKong on TV, which apparently only last about 10 minutes, Poole's longer display is pathetic, making it an annoying half hour rather than a celebration.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK