Many thanks to all of you who replied to my cry of H E L P..... You'r e various thoughts, all of which were on a similar vein were a great help and much appreciated - we eventually managed to find a way to shut it down - again thank you for your suggestions and the tab is now working properly as it ought to do.

It probably wasn't a hack, (I do have protection software on "tabby" - which should protect it, but I doubt anything is foolproof) but if it was to do with Samsung then the message on the screen is a pretty daft one as it certainly didn't give the impression that it was anything to do with them. Having gone through the manual (both the one that came with it and the on-line one) several times we are still non-the wiser about what occurred. Have also sent a message to Samsung asking about it, but still await a reply (which in view of the time of year is not unreasonable).

Arachne has come up trumps yet again - it never ceases to amaze my DH how quick the response is to a call of help.

Must just tell you this as it still makes me smile, my daughter (mid 20's) has just got a job at her local college as a retail mentor/trainer, she went along for her induction session where they were falling over themselves to give her an ipad - she just looked at them [straightfaced] and asked if she could have a pad of paper and a pencil instead!!!!! Bet their jaws are still dragging on the floor in disbelief. Whereas her baby daughter just can't wait to get her little hands on every gizmo in sight..... bless.

Happy New Year to you all

Nicky in Suffolk