Banks want people to use cards since it cost them nothing after the first
issue and computers do the work of entering and subtracting amounts between
your account and the grocers. Less labor costs. But mostly it is because
they can charge late fees and overdraft fees. Here in the USA, the Bank of
America tried to get more money by threatening to charge $5 for using an
ATM machine, but it was pure uproar that got them to abandon it.
We all do try to stop using plastic. I subscribe to a Facebook page called
My Plastic Free Life where we all come up with ideas for elimination
wherever we can.
Shopping is so overrated. It became a sport decades ago when men and women
actually started partaking in it as a challenging activity, especially
because prior to that, most people were loathe to adopt this chore.
Perhaps hunting and LACEMAKING are sorely needed hobbies in our daily
society - that is, hunting for food, not Reeboks. And making things pretty
with our own hands, not factory-produced and purchased, is the answer. It
is far more economical and satisfying to make what you need and love, as
opposed to laboring at work to earn enough to buy the lowest grade of item
that the dollar will win, and settling for whatever is available on the
merchants shelf.