Thanks Liz for those kind thoughts. Huge numbers of Australians have turned
out for the dawn services , one third of the Canberra population were at the
National War Memorial there. Later in the morning, in even the smallest towns,
there have been marches of war vets together with relatives of those who have
died who are allowed to wear the family medals on the right side of the chest.
Readings, speeches and wreath layings followed at cenotaphs and
memorials.Sadly my own region of New South Wales, the Hunter Valley,  has been
devastated by a cyclonic storm this week, with lives lost and many houses
destroyed. My own town has had to cancel their march  as roads are flooded but
even the most affected communities have managed to organise a memorial event.
Luckily my own small suburb has been spared the worst, many trees down but no
loss of electricity or phone connection.This afternoon pubs may be having a
two- up game - betting on a coin toss - illegal on all other days of the year.
-
from   Phil

in Maitland nswphil...@live.com.au

 > In a few hours it will be dawn in Australia and New Zealand.  As the sun
comes up on the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landings I hope and pray
that the spirit of ANZAC lives on with you all and that the dawn services take
place without incident.

> Just a little over 20 hours from now, I and my DH will be watching the sun
rise here in the UK thinking again of you all and are attending the National
Arboretum to pay our respects.