This didn't seem to go through, so I'm trying again --

Hello Good Group,

In the past there have been several interesting discussions on this list about the illegal copying of materials. I've found this to be a very well informed community on this issue.

I'm curious about the reselling of said illegal copies. I find that I have been a party to this (as a buyer), and I want your knowledge and advice.

I've purchased some American Girl doll sewing patterns on Ebay. These were described as "replacement patterns", not collectable as with no box. Stupid me, I pictured the pattern sheets without the fancy box and was happy to pay a somewhat less outrageous price than the "collectable" ones selling on Ebay.

What arrived is a thick packet of photocopies. The seller claims that they were sold as "replacement copies" in a retail store. He is in Canada. When I complained, he stated that I'm just out to get money out of him! He also says Pleasant Company gave him permission to use them. The copies are quite usable even though of diminished quality -- so I'm not complaining about being cheated because of quality. It is much more an ethical issue for me -- I can't see myself using illegal copies under any circumstances. (You have trained me well).

As a former librarian, I'm deeply offended by this practice, and most of all I want him to stop. When he remarked to me that no one else has complained and that he has sold many of these "replacement copies", I was convinced he's running a racket.

I'd like my approximately $32 refunded, but most of all I'd like him to stop what he is doing.What do you all think?

Is it legal to resell illegal copies? Can I somehow report this to Ebay? Pleasant Company? Are laws different in Canada? I thought copyright laws are under international agreement.

Thank you for any advice, information, or anything about this topic. I hope the above is not gibberish, because I'll admit I'm burning and the smoke is pouring. Should I just let it go??

Best,
Carolyn
Carolyn Hastings
Stow, MA USA
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to