HBO has a sit-com called "Curb Your Enthusiasm" which is now in its 6th season. I have just become aware of it, but a friend had taped the show so I have seen a number of previous episodes. It stars, as himself, one Larry David (who was significant in "Seinfeld").

My bottom line question is, what is it about this show that draws me and the other people who have been watching it for 6 seasons?

The most significant facet of the show is that Larry is almost TOTALLY self centered and self-absorbed. He is not likeable: he will lie, etc. etc. to try to come out on top. He can be heard to say he is sorry, but only if the words will bring him some benefit--and if the benefit turns out not to appear as he expects, he will withdraw the apology. So there is no feeling that he has 'learned' and will be more likeable in the future.

Triviality plays a large part in the show, but I have not been able to peg just what part if plays -- perhaps it is that the issues are trivial so the audience is not offended by the results.

It is funny -- mostly in that one can barely believe that our star would
behave as he does. In one recent episode, his wife is on a plane which is undergoing a great deal of turbulence. She calls on her cell with the concerns of one who may be saying her last words, and he says (albeit not a true quote) -- *could you call back later - the TiVo repair man is here*.

I would enjoy the benefit of any insight others may have as to why I and others are watching this stupid thing.

Susan Webster
Canton, OH

To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to