Jean wrote "My mother did the shopping for my housebound grandmother and had
to write
down the Pounds, shillings and pence equivalent of each item right up to my
grandmother's death at the age of 96 in 1978, 7 years after decimalization.
89 years pre-decimalization just couldn't be pushed aside to cope with a pound
changing from 240 old pence to 100 new ones."

But that was because she was 'protected' from the real world, and your mother
was willing to go along with it.  If she hadn't been housebound and been
doing her own shopping then she would have coped with it.

I was talking about apparently intelligent people who would stand at the till
and do the maths to convert what showed on the cash register back to old
money, carefully count it out to me in florins, ten bob notes etc, and when I
counted their change back to them (in as many of the new decimal coins as I
could
use; evil aren't I) would mentally convert what I had given them back to £, sh
and d.

It's on a similar lines to my Mum, who insisted on asking for her goods at
the deli counter in lbs and oz on the grounds that she couldn't understand kgs
(not because she was protecting our British heritage), but was quite happy to
go to France several times a year where she confidently shopped, in metric
quantities, using a different language and currency as well.

Jacquie

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to