Hi Spiders All, Can I just vent some dismay, and maybe make you all chuckle too?
I think some of you know my husband passed away very recently, so things have been chaotic and glum here, but the family home - which we put up for sale some months ago - has sold, so I have been looking for somewhere to rent, temporarily, whilst my daughter and her husband, a builder, look for a suitable, very-run-down property for me to buy, so that they can do it up, for me to live in! Well - last week we thought we had found the ideal property! Miles away from anywhere, with stupendous views over the Suffolk countryside, and plenty of potential to turn this grim looking, very neglected and run-down, one-bedroomed bungalow into a wonderful two/three bedroomed bungalow, with all mod cons, as well as a 'wooden chalet' place in the large garden for me to make lace! So - not surprisingly, we put in an offer. My grandson - 13 years old, and with what I now consider to be a very warped sense of humour - rang me up early yesterday morning, to say "Marmar, did you realise that a car came free with your new house?" When I asked him what on earth he meant, between chortles of laughter, he informed me that a car - whose driver was certainly 'under the influence of alcohol' as the police so quaintly put it - had not made the corner, flew over the quite substantial ditch outside 'my' house, and buried itself in the wall, taking the porch area and two house walls with it! Well - after Mass this morning I trundled up to see the damage, and I am amazed that the driver was able to extricate himself from the car, via the sunroof, and leg it off home - and by the time the police were able to identify him from the Drivers' records at Swansea, he was not over the drink-drive limit! The room at the back of the house was absolutely full of the brick and plaster rubble from the front of the house, so you can doubtless imagine my disbelief when I saw it all! I have seen cars with just a broken wing mirror, whose occupant has died in the shunt, and this one is so mangled at the front, where it is buried in the house, it would be hard to identify what make of car it was. The driver obviously has a very hard-working guardian angel. Now what do we do? Christian and Claire are of the opinion that, subject to the surveyor's report, we still go ahead - but we build a wall around the property, with metal reinforcement in said wall - apparently called a 'terrorist wall' in the trade - to stop it happening again! And of course, we reduce the offer significantly ... But - what a way to start the housebuying rounds - and I wonder what you all think of the possibility of purchasing this property ... Carol - Suffolk UK 'Deliver us, Lord, from every evil, and grant us peace in our day.' To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line: unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to [email protected].
