Dear Friends,
On my recent trip to Vietnam I didn't take any lace, but decided to knit some sox instead (needed all that room to bring back souvenirs).

One evening in Vung Tau, after I'd cruised the local beach-side market, I returned to the hotel to see our receptionist sitting outside in the 30C heat knitting! She was one of only 2 knitters I saw in Vietnam.

It turned out this woman of 30 years of age (who looked about 18) had taught herself to knit from a book but had never seen anyone else do it. She had also taught herself English from a book and then perfected it by working in the hotel. She was knitting scarves in single rib on needles she had carved herself from bamboo. It was very slow and tedious in that heat, so I popped up to my room and brought down the sock I had on the go. Her eyes nearly popped out when she saw THREE needles - mine were stainless steel and I was having problems with corrosion in that humidity.

So then I taught her double rib and twisted rib, which are both a bit quicker than single rib, for which she was very grateful. There was not a hint of "how come a man is knitting" - just a sincere thirst for knowledge and skills.

What an amazing young woman
David in Ballarat

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to