On 12/29/11 8:53 AM, Sue wrote:
We have trouble in the UK at the moment with vandals (i.e. idiots) throwing big rocks from bridges over the road at cars travelling on the motorways, one woman was seriously hurt and hospitalised but still they carry on, maybe they will stop when they actually kill someone.
Idiots throwing things from overpasses have been around as long as there have been overpasses. They can't learn anything because they aren't the same idiots.
When I lived near Albany, New York, I overheard a "pumpkin patrol" net one Halloween night. The local ham club posted a member near every overpass every Halloween, and they chatted with each other (that's what "net" means in radio) while watching for mischief. It was boring duty because the trashers knew they were there. I heard one of them say that truckers on CB told him there was a definite difference in the area they protected.
Once upon a time I read a newspaper story in which someone who spoke a southern dialect was quoted as saying "trasher" instead of "vandal" -- I think that usage should spread; "vandal" is a slur on barbarians who weren't all that bad.
-- Joy Beeson http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/ http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ http://n3f.home.comcast.net/ -- Writers' Exchange http://www.debeeson.net/LakeCam/LakeCam.html west of Fort Wayne, Indiana, U.S.A. where the first snow cover is nearly gone. To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line: unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to [email protected]. Photo site: http://community.webshots.com/user/arachne2003
