Dear Friends,

Having survived the cyclone at Nawaicoba (which by the way is pronounced Nuh-why-thom'-buh), Saturday December 22nd found us in the village of Barotu near Raki Raki visiting the home of Roshlin's father. The weather was scorching and still with of course no power for any fans. So we spent a very pleasant time nearby swimming in the local river, which is strangely quite tidal yet never salty.

This particular bend in the river is my ideal swimming spot complete with a large ancient tree and tarzan-like vines hanging down with which you can swing and jump etc. The kids had a tyre tube and a small raft, called locally a billi-billi. This raft is a Fijian traditional one composed of about 4 thick pieces of bamboo lashed together.

After the parents had completed their dip I was left in the water with all the kids - about 8 of them ranging from 5 to 20 years of age. We were having a ball when one 13 year boy named Muna noticed that 3 of the girls were on the billi-billi and of course he had to tip them off. Now all the local kids think they are really good swimmers, but in fact they can barely manage a few strokes, whereas my friend Praveen's 19 year old daughter Joshlin can't swim a stroke.

I can only assume that Joshlin had no idea that the water was 4 metres deep - or else she is a complete air head. I immediately saw the horror and panic on her face as she went down and automatically swam over to save her. However, like all drowning people she simply put her hand on my head and pushed me down!! I shall never forget seeing first her horror, then yellow, brown, black! She did this 3 times and still I couldn't turn her round to reach the raft. You must realize that there were also about 5 other kids all thrashing about trying to save themselves too.

If Joshlin had pushed me down a 4th time, I'm sure I wouldn't have made it. But eventually I somehow got her on to the raft and side-stroked back to the shore to recover. Sure gave my stent a work out but at least I didn'[t have any chest pain as such.

The irony of the whole affair was that the adults on shore thought we were having a whale of a time. But then afterwards Joshlin, although quite aware that I'd saved her life, didn't thank me, but spent hours apologizing for daring to actually touch my head - apparently a no-no in Hindu culture. Thank goodness I was there, for if I hadn't been she certainly would have drowned, no doubt taking a number of others with her.

I do have to confess worrying about my unfinished jumper on the 3rd trip to the bottom....
David in Ballarat, AUS

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to