Funny that this should come up in this weekend's digest. I made corned beef last night for dinner.
I grew up (in Australia) with it being called silverside, and it seemed like it had already been seasoned in some way. Here in the US, I buy it (it's a brisket cut), it comes prepackaged in a red 'goo' with the seasonings in a separate little bag in with the meat. I just put the meat (good and all), seasonings, and a little water, into my crockpot, and cook it on low for the day. By the end of the day it's fork tender, and the fatty part can be scraped off prior to serving. The chopped up corned beef that jean referred to I don't know about, but it might explain the corned beef hash that's served at an Irish pub in Redmond. It's pretty good - very lean, and finely chopped, and I'd not had corned beef served that way until I ate at this pub one time. Not sure how traditionally Irish the hash style is, but the pub seems to do a good business (they have good bangers and mash and whisky bread pudding too). I guess there are local 'spins' put on a food that's introduced, over time. Helen, Duvall, WA To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line: unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to [email protected]. Photo site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/
