On 11/11/14 8:56 AM, David C COLLYER wrote:

Finally something good has come out of Mc Donald's!!!!!!!

I developed a very soft spot for MacDonald's when I trained
for September Century Weekend[1] every summer.  *Every*
MacDonald's has a back door right next to the restrooms!

I still drop in for french fries if I'm hungry when I leave
Aldi, but they aren't nearly as good as they were when they
fried them in suet.

[1]  Before the League of American Wheelmen (L.A.W.) morphed
into the League Against Bicycling (LAB), it sanctioned its
chapters to organize "century" rides every September. I learned of our local club's existence when a friend told me that a really-cool event was going on.

I was told that at first MHW's September Century was just
another club ride:  a few members met somewhere along the
Mohawk and rode a hundred miles together.  When I left,
MHW's September Century was an extravaganza covering both
days of the first weekend in September, with a mass start
for each ride, sag service, and food at the finish line.
The double century (two hundred miles) started at three A.M.
on Saturday;  both days had Century (100) Metric Century
(60) Half Century (50) and Quarter Century (25) rides.

I haven't uncovered evidence that MHCC continued with the
Weekend after LAB abandoned them, but Wabash Vally's Wabash
River Ride appears to have the same characteristics.
Lafayette is no farther from here than many of the start
points for the MHW centuries were from where I lived then,
but I've never attended.  For one thing, these days I
consider a quarter century a major accomplishment.

--
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/
west of Fort Wayne, Indiana, U.S.A.
where, to my surprise, it wasn't very cold out when I drove to the store. (29F. A few weeks ago I considered 58F bitterly cold.)

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to