Dear Spiders,

Since I returned home and started to read the books I had bought in
Pakistan, I found one item of interest that does qualify for includion in
Lace.

At first I was reluctant to buy a book on Karakorum Stitchery as it was
written in German and I only know a very little German.  However, the
illustrations and photos were good.  I am glad I did buy it, for one of the
photos showed two women making finger braids (we had this as a discussion
subject a short time ago) or rather, one was plaiting while at the other
end, another woman was sewing the resultant braid round the crown of a hat,
while it was being plaited.  Immediately my mind went back to Morocco, a
couple of years ago, where two men were making the identical braid which was
plaited and at the same time sewn onto the seams of the caftan.  The result
was firm, beautiful and an integral part of the seam.

Then I remembered I had seen a similar illustration in a book about
ChineseTextile techniques.  Morocco, Pakistan and China are far apart.  One
could say that ideas were spread via the Silk Road as far as the Middle East
and that Arab traders took the technique to Morocco, but I can't help
wondering if finger braiding is not such a basic technique, that it could
have been invented in more than one World area at the same time, like
weaving.  My next thought was, is finger braiding the fore-runner of
plaited, i.e. bobbin-lace?  There may have come a time when there were
simply not enough fingers for the number of threads needed, or weighted
bobbins may have been easier to work than finger loops.  Well - its a
thought, what do you think?

Angela Thompson

unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED]