In fact these are clamps for netting and winding.  The bottom one is missing
the spool.

I am now guessing but the "extra knob" could be to do with the netting
function of these clamps.  I guess this as those clamp tool that are for
winding only have winding spools on them without extra "knobs".

There are some beautiful ivory ones in collections (yes real ivory!)  The
most rare of which have what is known as "hot needle" decoration.  This
style of decoration is thought to have originated in India.

I do think that the seller is correct to say that the "white" bits are bone
as one can see the flecks constant with bone in parts of the picture.

There are a great many of different tools that "clamp"

Skein winders in pairs (for silk or wool)  Beautiful "Humming bird" clamps
where the birds beak holds "things" ( ie fabric when hemming) that the
worker might want to have held.  Pin cushions which sometimes include needle
cases in the clamp construction and just plain clamps in all sorts of bird
and animal shapes.

What a pity I am "poor" I would love to collect all these things!  :)

PLEASE don't use my next remark to open the old hoary question of HTML
especially as we now seem to have a "converter" in operation.  But I would
have loved to sent you pictures of these lovely things.  Here we are using
what is essentially a visual media form and we confine ourselves to
"typewriters"  I emphisise that the list has discussed this matter MANY
times before, and the question has been decided upon, we are to use plain
text on the list.  That's OK by me, but one day I hope we will change.

For those of you who don't know me I am know as an HTML advocate.

Brian from Cooranbong, Australia
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED]