Jane wrote:
"How many times I
have heard a lacemaker say "but I'm only a beginner.." as if the
magazines were *only* for the experienced, and that membership of
whatever guild or society is far beyond their reach.  This is, and
should be, far from the truth - though if the only patterns published
are for experienced lacemakers, because of the attitude that beginners
should be working through books it makes me wonder!"

As a beginner in Honiton, I can honestly say that The Lace Guild's Lace is
invaluable.  I may not be able to work many of the patterns included, but I
can still learn from them.  I have worked through Suzanne Thompson's Intro
to Honiton Lace, and am currently working through her subsequent book,
Further Steps in Honiton Lace.  In between working the patterns from these,
I have also taken time to work other patterns using the skills I have
learnt, with minimal instructions rather than the step by step approach.

I may not have worked any pattern yet with no instructions at all - but they
are still of use, as I can look and try and work out a working order and the
techniques needed to complete the pattern.  With some, I may only be able to
work out how to handle part of the design.  For some patterns, I can look
and see different ways of working the design too.  Similarly, I find
studying patterns in other books helpful and pictures of lace itself without
the pricking.

My aim is to become as independent of the instructions as possible, as
having to look things up slows me down and restricts what I can work.  With
many things I am now at the stage where if I have to look it up, it is to
double check my thoughts, and where I cannot remember all the details, I can
make myself a working diagram or brief directions to avoid having to search
through masses of text for the details I am finding hard to remember.

Karen
In Coventry, England, where the weather has changed to rain.
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED]