On Monday, Jun 30, 2003, at 06:35 US/Eastern, Margot Walker wrote:

The most famous historical library was the that of Alexandria, Egypt - one of the wonders of the ancient world. It collected knowledge from what is now Europe and the Middle East,

I remember reading somewhere that Alexander (the Great, who founded it) used to say: "why should I bother to learn anything, when I can look it up in my library?" It's an attitude which has always had a great appeal for me although, in recent years, I'd be inclined to substitute "remember" for 'learn"... <g>

Here's my proposal: artists, authors, collectors, publishers, and lovers of textiles, select a book or books about textiles or craft that you've either written or found influential and send it (or them) to the Bibliotheca Alexandria for their collection.

There's an obvious (?) problem here... If you're *not* an author of a book, but send one written by someone else, then they're likely to end up with multiple copies of the same book (esp in case of the ones published in the past 20 yrs)... Would they sell them off at a quarter a piece the way my library does?

And, of course, there's no guarantee that our "New Roman" doesn't go haring off to *Egypt* tracking terrorists, and that *this* library won't meet the same fate the first one did...

-----
Tamara P Duvall
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lexington, Virginia,  USA