Dear all,

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Beth Schoenberg wrote:

> This is very true.   I have some old parchment prickings, with paper
> copies that were apparently meant for the actual use on the pillow.

I think it was probably the other way round. The way I was taught
to make prickings (from one of Karen Trend Nissens books), you
prick through a sandwich consisting of the master, a plain piece of
paper, and the parchment (and a piece of freezing paper or waxed
paper for your own sanity's sake ;).
The parchment is for use on the pillow, and the paper copy is the
new master. The reasoning is that however carefully you try, you
are bound to enlarge the holes of the master copy; next time you
use it, it will be more difficult to prick correctly from it. If
you make a new master each time, the pattern won't need to be
trued up too often.

Of course that was before copy-machines could create identical
masters each time ;-)

Regards
Katja Gamby in Copenhagen, Denmark

--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> System Administrator, Dept. of Comp. Sci., U of Copenhagen