Dear Lacemakers,

There is an American magazine of small circulation that has just published an
article titled "Dresden Embroidered Lace".  This is an embroidery that was
done in the 18th Century on very fine muslin (modern-day embroiderers use
coarser materials) that falls into a family of embroideries referred to as
whitework.  In the purest sense, Arachnes tend to think of this needlework form as not
lace -- but the article references several icons of our world and their books,
starting with the description of whitework on page 72 of Santina Levey's
book.  Other experts we recognize who have written about this delicate embroidery
are Janet Arnold (who wrote about Queen Elizabeth's wardrobe), Pat Earnshaw,
and Margaret Swain.

I know that it is quite difficult to find historical information and pictures
and am putting this info on the list for those interested in various
pulled-work embroideries.

There is a German-language 247-page book devoted to "Dresdner Spitzen - Point
de Saxe" which I purchased because of a desperate need for "any information"
on the subject.  This book, we were told on Arachne a couple years ago, was
published in 2000 by Staatliche Kinstammlungen Dresden (ISBN 3-932264-20-7) in
connection with a lace exhibit.  The huge drawback (I could weep), is that it
is in a language so many of us cannot read!

The 12-page magazine article in Volume 32 of "Sampler & Antique Needlework is
quite welcome.  The magazine is expensive ($7) because it carries little
advertising and has a low press run.  I subscribe, but have seen it for sale in
Borders and in independently-owned embroidery shops.

The site where you can read about it is:

http://www.just-crossstitch.com

There is a magazine option to click on - in the band across the top.  It will
take you (today) to information about the previous issue, Volume 31.  But, I
need to share this information before IOLI, or will forget.  Keep watching
this web site for the new info about Dresden embroidered lace.

Americans:  This was a very popular type of needlework taught to young ladies
in private academies before and after the American Revolution.  It was
combined with cut out areas filled with needlelaces.  So, if this is the period of
history you like, you will profit from learning about Dresden work samplers.  I
saw a collection of about 12 of these on temporary display at Winterthur
Museum last Summer.  It was a rare opportunity; few whitework samplers have
survived.

If anyone is interested in this type of work, write privately and I will give
you embroidery book titles -- books from which you can learn.  The
Embroiderers' Guild of America always offers courses at their seminars.  I recall IOLI
had my friend, Joan Masterson, teach a course years ago.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED]