Liz, I'm quoting from the introduction to the little book from the UK Lace
Guild called "Torchon Patterns from the Winslow Sample Book":

"The Winslow Lace industry was active from about 1875 to the 1920s.  The area
around the small North Buckinghamshire town of Winslow had been well known for
its lacemaking, but this had gone into decline until Lucy Hubbard (a daughter
of Lord Addington) set about providing a means of livelihood for the lacemakers
of the area.  Later her younger sister Rose took over the operation.

A large book of samples was assembled, showing the lace which the Winslow Lace
Industry offered for sale;  many of the designs were very different from those
being produced elsewhere in the region, some being copies of lace brought back
from the continent by the Hubbard family and their friends.

The sample book was acquired by The Lace Guild in 1998.  When it was first put
on show, various members expressed an interest in working out some of the
patterns and in many cases adapting them for modern use (e.g. by adding
corners);  this is a small selection of the results.

More information can be found in Issues 92, 94, 95, and 97 of Lace and in The
Romance of the Lace Pillow by thomas Wright, and Pillow Lace by Elizabeth
Mincoff and Margaret Marriage."

The 9 or 10 patterns in the little book from The Lace Guild are all Torchon,
although the patterns in the 2004 Calendar are all much more like Beds.  The
Calendar also reproduces an advertising leaflet for the "Winslow (Bucks)
Pillow-Lace Industry" which lists Bucks Point borders and insertions, linen
lace, borders and insertions, reproductions of antique pillow laces in Italian,
Greek, Spanish and English patterns of pure flax thread, and made-up goods in
great variety .... all available from the Industry.

Regards,
Ruth Budge (Sydney, Australia)
Elizabeth Ligeti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Please could anyone enlighten me
as to what the Winslow Collection is?
I see it is featured in next year's Calendar from the UK Lace Guild.
I see that it is a plaited lace (?Beds.) and Winslow is near Bedford (if I
remember correctly!) Is it is Beds or Bucks, now? I know a lot of borders
have been moved in the last 40 years since I lived in England!
I am presuming that that is where the Collection comes from!

from Liz in Melbourne, Oz, - Where it is a beautiful, sunny day, but Very
cold - 0C this morning!!!

-  New people, new possibilities! Try Yahoo! Personals, FREE for a limited period!