Funny, that's the exact same description of my local Michael's Craft store! <grin> Do you suppose they're owned by the same mega-corporation?
I've heard "we don't have any control over what we get in stock - Corporate decides that" so often that I parrot it back to the staff every time I hear it. They won't even carry all the DMC embroidery floss colors - only the most "popular" colors are stocked. I never shop there unless it's a dire emergency - I'd rather wait for the weekend and drive 25 miles to the closest remaining single-owner shop (going out of business soon <sob>) or order by mail from somewhere else, first. Mom loves Michael's because they put a 40% off coupon in the paper almost every week and she can buy construction paper for the grandkids with it. The only other, smaller craft store chain in the area just eliminated all embroidery items, most of the crochet thread, and a big chunk of their quilting area to make room for more stamping and scrapbooking stock. There are very few textile items being stocked (basic knitting supplies) because "no one does those things anymore". My reply has been "yes we do - but we won't be shopping here!" If you're lucky enough to have a privately owned craft or sewing store nearby, please patronize them on a regular basis - buy something every time you go in, and go in often; it's the only way they'll stay in business. Just to slip some lace content in: I've become a Bucks convert after my class with Julie Nicholls at the PNW Conference in Victoria, so I'm hanging on an edging "Firebird" (100 Traditional patterns, I think) for the lace census tag, and the "Serpentine" bookmark from Stott's book. The neverending pink hearts edging will go to the State Fair with me for demos, as well. I may get brave enough to dig out a Beds piece that I started several years ago and either finish it, or cut it off - it would be nice to have that pillow and bobbins free again. The other summer projects have been a neverending cross stitch piece (4 years, off and on, and not halfway, yet - Teresa Wentzler's Peacock pattern), a couple of knitted hats for a friend in chemotherapy, and I've started another pair of socks. I envy all of you who write about making lace in the morning sun or outdoors in the shade of a tree - my office doesn't even have a window - I have to visit a colleague to find out what the weather's like. ;-) LeAnn in Oregon - on pins and needles until the 31st, when I find out how my State Fair entries did! [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: >Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:38:00 +0100 >From: "Annette Gill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >Subject: Re: [lace] Thread stores/Hobbycraft > >Trust me, that Bournemouth Hobbycraft is a model of helpfulness compared >to >my local one at Crayford. Their displays are a mess, there are gaps in >their stock, and the staff don't seem to know anything much. > >Regards, >Annette in London - To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
