On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 10:17 PM, I wrote:

On the subject of Miss Channer's mat; copyright is the right to exactly
reproduce.  I believe that if you own a worked mat (from a purchased
pricking), and then re-drew it from scratch using a suitable grid you would
own the copyright on the new artwork although you wouldn't (morally)own the
design.  Tracing wouldn't be allowed as that is mechanical copying.<<<

Robin replied:
I believe there's more to it than that.  If I make a hooked rug from
someone's watercolor painting, I can be infringing the painter's copyright
by selling copies of my rug pattern.  It's my understanding that changing
media doesn't automatically bypass copyright--it has to be changed "enough"
to be an adaptation.

Depends how you make the pattern for the hooked rug!
If you do it visually/manually by freehand drawing over graph paper the chances are your design will end up a bit different anyway, though morally it's title should be "after xxxxxx by yyyyyyyy". But if you have the skills to make a pattern in this way you probably wouldn't want to make an exact copy anyway!

However, scanning the watercolour and using a computer program to convert the image into a pattern of squares (suitable for hooked rugs / cross stitch / Fair Isle knitting etc) is a very different thing and would be contravening copyright.

Brenda
http://users.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/
Supporting the [EMAIL PROTECTED] campaign