Spiders,

Isn't the important issue here of what was historically acceptable and what
is acceptable now.

In the past, lacemakers got copies of patterns by taking rubbings or
prickings of other prickings.

There were only a few designers and if you made lace you made it commercially
from a pattern that you probably got from the person who retailed it for you.

Now there are many more lace makers and we have access to lots of patterns -
however, if those people now make their living from designing the patterns and
not from retailing the lace made by others then if we STEAL their pattern,
and it is stealing if we don't pay for it, then it is important to them that
they are able to sell their patterns.

However, and this is why the discussion has cause such an uproar - what
happens when someone ceases to retail their patterns or worse still, dies?

We may not solve the problem but if we understand it better then we won't be
stealing and also we will be helping new and existing designers to get on

Regards

Liz

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Subj: [lace] Ms. Channer
>  Date: 28/08/2003 18:32:37 GMT Daylight Time
>  From: <A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>
>  To: <A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>
>  Sent from the Internet
>

> Hi Spiders,
>
> I am struck with amount of energy we pour in to discussing Ms. Channer and
> her mat.  What is it about us as a group that makes this topic so riveting?
> She was determined to not let lace die, as was Doreen Wright, whom I have
> begun to know belatedly through your anecdotes.  These thoughts are drifting
> through my mind.
>
> <snipped>
> Bemusedly,
>
> Patty Dowden