On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 08:43 AM, Jean wrote wrote:

I keep thinking about using a computer, but still haven't made up my mind
which way to go. I've got CorelDraw, but until someone tells me how to make
the page full size and put a dot on it (and I used to teach computing!!)
just to get me started, I don't seem to have time to start exploring that.
It's all very well saying make a small elipse and then copy it if you
already know how to make a small elipse with this program.

I think that what it really comes down to is:
Whichever CAD program you already have and/or know how to use is the one for you.

BL patterns are only dots and lines positioned quite precisely, and the magnetic 'snap-to' positioning in any CAD software will take care of that.
A dot is either a very short line or a filled circle and a line is either straight or curved. All the other symbols used by lacemakers are combinations of these - a leaf/tally is two curved lines, with a coloured fill if you wish, rose ground is four straight lines etc etc.

Make yourself a grid, (or set of grids), one roseground symbol, a 2x2 spider, a 3x3 spider etc and use them over and over again. The dedicated lace design programs such as Lace2000 make the process easier, especially if you don't already use anything else but if you do use what you have and know.

Brenda

http://users.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/
Supporting the [EMAIL PROTECTED] campaign