In a message dated 8/28/2003 5:21:35 AM GMT Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  Maybe
>  > someone should offer to handle the paper work of clearing  the checks
from
>  > "honor payments" so they could receive it in a yearly lump  sum which
would be
>  > cheaper for them to process.   Meanwhile, of course, the pattern is
selling on e-> >   bay and  the second hand  market.

Here I am, trying to catch up on my digests, coming upon this interesting
situation.

If I had read this mail while I was in England, I would have been more than
happy to call Ruth Bean up. By the way, that's a wonderful firm that has been
extremely helpful in printing things that otherwise would never have seen the
light of day
I doubt if most of our Arachne members have any idea how much the reprinting
of Mrs. Channer's mat must have cost, or realize that printing it again, now
will be probably much more expensive than printing it originally.  The printer
can only offer lower prices through a much larger initial print run; for a
small publisher, this is a very difficult choice.  He or she has to make some
guestimate as to how many lacemakers are going to spring for the offering.  How
many lacemakers were able or wanted to make Miss Channers' mat?  and now,
again???

I know something about what I'm saying  because OIDFA went through the exact
same thing with the  printing of the new Point Ground study work in 1999.  The
prices were scary, more than we could really afford. Only by ordering a large
number could we end up with a unit price that the average lacemaker would or
could pay.   We went ahead, and as it turned out,  lacemakers were
enthusiastic about the study and bought it. Enough copies have been sold now that the
organisation can stop holding its breath.  We made the right decision, but it
wasn't easy.

I can well imagine that very special plates were made to print the
reproduction of the Channer mat, ones that require a special setting because the size
is
unusual.
Those of us who remember the original publication were very pleased to see
Ruth Bean reprint it, and I think we must understand why they are adamant that
it not be cheaply photocopied.

Elaine Merritt
The Lace Museum
552 South Murphy Avenue