> >"toveressekant" this is the flemish word for witchcraft, refering to the
> very intricate and difficult designs (for which you need "magic" fingers,
> haven't we all ???).>>
>
> Should this not be called magician's lace instead of witches lace?  I
would
> translate "toveresse" as a fairy godmother like the one Cinderella had and
> not a witch which has a nasty connotation???  What is a witch called in
> Dutch?  We would call her a "heks" in Afrikaans.
>
> Jeanette Fischer, Western Cape, South Africa.

The Dutch word for witch is "heks", so the same as in Afrikaans.
I agree with Jeanette, witches work is not a nice word for a beautiful lace!
I found several translations for the word Toveresse - or tovenaresse as we
say in Dutch! -  in my translator: magician, charmer, fascinator and
enchanter.
So how will we call our witches work?!?

Anneke Reijs, in Baexem, The Netherlands

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.hetnet.nl/~aplag