I recall once that I forgot my lacemaking table for a class and Maria
Provencher suggested I keep the pillow in my lap and elevate my feet on a stool,
holding the pillow in the lap. She claimed that this was the way that it was
always done in Belgium and that you could work for hours without your back hurting.
I recall it was suprisingly comfortable.
However, I am not sure that bobbin lace is the discipline we are speaking of
here. The seller makes the interesting comment that the stool was found in the
vicinity of Nottingham, the  English lace making center, and was must likely
used by an outworker. My understanding is that Nottingham was the center of a
machine lace industry. The outworkers, if I am not mistaken, did
needle-running and finishing to the machine made net. My history is rather murky, but
think the net machine was just beginning to be used in the era she spoke of,
1780.
Does anyone have the ability to clarify whether there is any other
interpretation of her remarks? (Not that I think they are so well thought out that
they
deserve this level of analysis.)
Devon