Liz and Spiders,

I tend to share the worries about a possible decline in lace - witness the
suppliers who have *gone under* over the last fifteen years!   When I think
back 20/22 years, I was the Events Secretary for both Essex and Suffolk Lace
Makers, (at differing times, but bobbing back and forth like a bad openny!)
in the UK.   In Essex, when I first stsrated, we used the largest village
hall in the country, and also hired the side rooms for the suppliers.  The
hall help 250, we sold all 250 tickets, and had a waiting list just in case
any lace-makers dropped out.   Similarly, in Suffolk, the hall held nearly
200 - all tickets were sold, and a waiting list for tickets.

Nowadays, we are lucky if we can sell 100 tickets in both Essex and Suffolk
(I am not involved on the Committees for either at present, but a quick
headcount shows that the attendance is *not* what it used to be - but if the
figures are totally wrong, no doubt someone will correct me!).   The halls
used - or the percentage of the halls - extra rooms for suppliers etc - have
decreased in size to accommodate the smaller numbers.

However, I am not sure that this is showing a decline in Lace Makers.   A
quick scan of the "Events" pages in the Lacemakers' Circle or the Lace Guild
newsletters shows that a dedicated Lace-maker (and aren't we all?) could
attend a Lace Day or Suppliers Fair most weekends of the year.  When I
started to make lace, there certainly wasn't the proliferation of lace
groups and consequent events held - so for those events that were staged,
attendance was very high indeed.    Nowadays, we can attend the events
closest to us, and even if we only belong to one county group,. we can still
average about one event a month.

Perhaps a better indication of the state of lace-making is the number of new
lace-makers being introduced to the art.  Are the classes managing to
recruit new members - especially younger people?   Are we able to publicise
lace-making enough to keep up the recruitment figures?   I am lucky in my
classes - they are private classes, but held in local schools, and because
they are not local education classes, I can have youngsters under the age of
15 in the class, which, when the classes I taught were run by the LEA, was
not possible for some unexplained reason.   (Again, this was several years
ago, so things may well have improved ........)

This perhaps doesn't clarify the position much more, but I do hope it gives
some food for thought!

Carol - in a dry and sunny, albeit a bit chilly, Suffolk UK>