In a message dated 30/09/2003 18:41:34 GMT Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Another point: when I read the postings from our British arachnes, it
> seems as if the number of people learning to make lace is equated with
> the number of people taking classes. However, there are many good books
> available that will help you learn to make lace at home, and from the
> beginner's perspective, a book costs a lot less than a class. So there
> may be many people who know how to make lace, who have not appeared on
> the radar of club meetings and lace days.

Firstly apologies to Julia who I sent these two paragraphs to earlier as I've
cut and pasted - but I'm off to the gym and wanted to say the same thing -

Here is another thought - the main way to be qualified to teach lace at Adult
Education etc is to take City & Guilds - but everyone you talk to says that
the only way to do that is if you are not working.  So, who has time now to
devote 2 years full time to do a C&G in lacemaking?  Only retired lacemakers.
So
our teachers are getting older.

I'm trying to go about it another way - I have to have NVQs to teach at
tertiary level (I'm a tutor at Carshalton College) so if I do my NVQs I am
qualified to teach.  But to teach a subject I need to prove proficiency - so I
do the
Lace Guild proficency to compliment my NVQs and I can teach at Adult Education
- this way I qualify in two years whilst working full time - it may kill me

More than one way to give the cat a new coat!!

Regards

Liz Beecher
I'm <A HREF="http://journals.aol.com/thelacebee/thelacebee";>blogging</A> now -
see what it's all about