As an almost 40 year old mother of 2, I'm just getting reacquainted with
my pillows (I've done dribs and drabs over the years, but never had big
chunks of childless-time to work on bigger projects).  This is the first
time in almost 8 years that I've had 'quiet time" during my day to
tackle lacemaking.  My youngest has just started Kindergarten
(yippee!!!!!), and so I can finally do the things I want to do, and not
have a little "helper" hanging around.  I learnt lacemaking in early
1977, when I was 12, and I really had to taper back my devotion to my
hobby, due to the increasing volumes of homework and pressures of
school.  Once I started working, I found I had more time again, but then
once I had my first child, I had to cut back again.

One thing I do notice, is that in the late 80's and early 90's, when I
supported myself, and lived at home, I had money to burn (and the
interest rates were phenomenal :-) ), and I would easily spend over $100
a month at lace day on bobbins, mainly, but also on books (this is in
Victoria, Oz).  As the interest rates have plummeted, and the economy
has contracted in the US (where I now live), I don't have that same
amount of disposable cash - that means that I just don't buy bobbins
right now.  I only get them sent to me as gifts, or if there's a very
special commemorative one I want, then I work out a deal with Mum (I
love you tons Mum :-)  )  I think economics and life style have a big
impact on one's free time, and how it can be spent and financed.

I've been a member of the RMLG since about 1991 (I think), and whilst
there's been a core of us, and total numbers have gone up and down, we
have gained some wonderful new members in the past few years.  I think
I'm probably still about the youngest member who attends meetings.
We've also lost a few along the way, sadly, to a variety of reasons -
economics included in them.

Just another point of view.

Cheers,
Helen, Aussie living in Denver.