Sorry for quoting both Kenn and Tamara, but I wanted to comment on both at
the same time.

Along time ago I put in my first entry for military modeling into a
competition.  I didn't think I stood a chance and realised I was going to be really
embarrassed when I realised that I was the only entry.

About an hour before the awards were going to be announced one of the judges
took me to one side.  He said that as this was my first competition he would
like to tell me how the judging was done.  He explained that in a couple of the
catagories there were less entries than possible awards and infact, the
standard of work was so poor that NO awards were going to be given.

So, I stood there at the awards and in some catagories they announced that
the entries were gallant efforts but sorry, no cigar.  Then it came to my
catagory and they said that whilst there was not going to be awarded a Highly
Commended (the top award required for being able to go to the Nationals) there was
going to be a 1st prize - which I won - the only entry.

Whatever I have done, I still prize that award because I didnt' get it
because I was the only entry but because I earned it.

Prizes for all is one thing but sometimes we need to recognise effort and
talent so that we understand how we are progressing.

What child is going to look back on an award with pleasure when they realise
they got it for just turning up.  We might as well just give presents out for
that.

Regards

Liz

In a message dated 03/10/2003 23:05:40 GMT Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> On Friday, Oct 3, 2003, at 13:10 US/Eastern, Kenn Van-Dieren wrote:
>
> >This year I won 2nd place in Technical Proficiency at the IOLI lace
> >contest.
> >
> >Now while that sounds great, you must understand that I won 2nd place
> >in a
> >contest with two entries.  Think about it.  There seems to be some
> >room here
> >for competition.  And there are a lot of lacers out there better then
> >me.
> >So get to it and compete.
>
> Not in Technical Proficiency, I won't <g>  My *ideas* are, mostly, OK;
> my technical proficiency... "dead skunk in the middle of the road"
> comes to mind... :) Every time I submit something, I hope the judges
> will overlook the technical "bloops and oops" in favour of looking at
> the project as a whole...

Regards

Liz Beecher
I'm <A HREF="http://journals.aol.com/thelacebee/thelacebee";>blogging</A> now - see