Helen, you bring up an interesting possibility.  I measured the opening at
the end of the bobbin holder and it is quite narrow (1/16th inch, 3 dm).
The opening in that appendage (for lack of a better word) is about 2-1/4
inches (5-1/2 cm long) and the entire appendage is 3-1/2 inches (8-1/2 cm)
long.  I thought the opening was so small because it was hand made for the
thinner midlands style bobbins and perhaps because of shrinkage with age and
non-use.  It would be too small for the continental bobbins that I use and
this is why I do not plan to use it.  You mentioned having "big bobbins" and
I just don't think that anything "big" could fit into the opening that holds
the bobbins.  Are there any other ideas out there?

Cheers,

Ruth Johnson of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada where fall is in the air and the
deciduous trees are starting to show their fall colour