Gidday all,

<Scoff not! Iain makes lace when we are on holiday which is 7 weeks a year.
He
<thinks it helped him re design our bobbins and to understand more when

My New DH of two weeks (also an Ian) refuses to have a go at lacemaking,
even though I know he'd be really good at it, but he does weave very well,
and in fact in August I insisted he enter a white cotton table runner in my
WI group's annual craft show (it might be a Women's Institute but in this
day and age of equality they allow men to enter!), and he won 1st in the
Craft-Other section as well as a Special prize for outstanding piece.  He
was very popular with the ladies at the cocktail party/prize giving, much to
his amusement as they were nearly all 20+ years older than he!

The downside to having a 'crafty' husband is that in the tiny 2 bedroom
place we are living in whilst in South Africa, there is nowhere for any
visitors to sleep because the 2nd bedroom is totally taken up by a huge 8
shaft weaving loom!

For those who recall my asking questions about tatting a while back, I did
get all the baskets completed in time, although I did not do the handles -
did one and didn't like the way it looked so I left them as handle-less. I
used clear-drying Bostik craft glue to secure the cut-off knots, and
stiffened them in a sugar/water solution, and each lady at the wedding got
one with a gold and silver chocolate heart in it.  I figured the tatting
would be wasted on the men and probably get thrown out, so instead they got
a little paper parcel of those lolly hearts with the writing on. I had also
made calico cake bags rather than the paper ones, embroidered with a spray
of lavender.  My mum made a gorgeous ring cushion with Elizabethan
embroidery on it which my 12 y.o. son carried the rings on.

Michelle
an Aussie living in Richards Bay, South Africa
just returned from Melbourne

Ian & Chelle Long
+27 35 788 0777