On Monday, October 27, 2003, at 03:30 AM, Jane wrote:

I imagine I'll have to make my own varigated to get
the effect I'm after but I'm wondering if there are some thicker threads (I
think I'm using #80 tatting cotton, it's downstairs) with a short change in
color. And what does everybody else think about varigated thread? I love
the effect Sulochona got using varigated for the crocheted tape in her
Romania Point Lace piece!

I agree with you, short changes generally look best, especially for BL. On the whole the hand dyed embroidery skeins, such as the Caron threads, often have the shorter changes.
Some of the reels/spools that come in varigated colours are:

DMC Special Dentelles (tatting cotton) changes in 12-15 inches (30 wraps/cm)
Oliver Twists machine cotton changes after about 4 inches  (28 wraps/cm)
YLI colours change in about 6 inches (25 wraps/cm)
Superior Threads Perfect Quilter also change in about 6 inches (23 wraps/cm)
Empress Mills Soft finish cotton changes after about 2 inches (14 wraps/cm)

If you can find several different, but similar varigated colours it's possible to get a very subtle colour change across the width of a yardage lace, otherwise use mainly plain colours and use the varigated for the worker pair in a continuous trail or headside fan.

Brenda

http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/
Supporting the [EMAIL PROTECTED] campaign