Regarding a foot stool......I use a brick.....dimensions are about the
same.. I have several and each in its own washable cover/carry bag.

Regarding varigated thread...there is another new thread....Olympus, size
40.  **Great** colors, solids, varigated and shaded.  Goto
www.sacredstitches.com to see and order.

 I have no interest in this site, but I have tatted with this thread and it
is wonderful.  Very satisfied customer...

I can see no reason why it would not be fine for BL...just have not tried
it.....oh, it is 6 cord. Also availabe in UK
BarbE