[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I have been away from lacemaking for *way* too long but am slowly getting
> back
> into it.  I have absolutely *no* lacemaking thread but I have tons of
> tatting
> thread in all sizes.  This may be a dumb question, but can I substitute
> tatting thread for lacemaking thread?  Is there a "conversion chart"
> somewhere
> that would tell me, for example, that if the pattern calls for Brok 80/2, I
> can use size 80 DMC tatting cotton instead?  Something like that?
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Shirlee Hill

Shirlee,

I'm sure the others will let you know the conversions (as I can't get to my
book at the moment) but as to using 80 DMC 'tatting' thread - no problem.
Christine Springett, in her book lacemaking for children of all ages, using 80 DMC
thread and all the other 'tatting' threads by DMC.

It works wonderfully.

My only comment about it is that it is quite highly spun so when you wind it
onto the bobbin don't do it too tightly or you will find that you are pulling
the twist down the thread and it starts to curl and knot.

Also, I made dad a chair back cover in 80 DMC and the thread twist keep the
lace flexible but strong so that when he put it on his chair (which is ocvered
with dralon - like a velvet) it never moved and after about 10 years it just
started to fray - so what you use it for is important.

Regards

Liz Beecher
I'm <A HREF="http://journals.aol.com/thelacebee/thelacebee";>blogging</A> now - see
what it's all about