"(I know, I know - I'm ahead of the idea curve again, and so expect raw eggs
to be flung in this direction.)"
Why would anyone do that, Jeri.  I agree with you - a universal code would
be a big help.
It is the same as getting a standard vocabulary for lacemaking terms -
cloth/whole stitch.    (I learned to call CTC whole stitch, but now it is
called cloth st., and whole st is often what I was taught as Double ½ stitch
(CTCT).)

Perhaps, though, the confusion is all part of the fun!!! :))  At least we
never get bored!!!

from Liz in Melbourne, Oz,