I'm afraid I've trashed all the messages from yesterday, so I can't quote (or fully attribute, either)...

The suggestion that one be represented as "T" and the other as "t", as in cooking recipes is fine, except that it doesn't allow for typos :) That's why most recipes I've seen use more than a single letter: TBS and tsp.

Using the last letter instead of the first (a la US PO)... I don't know.. I had some problems deciphering that (could be because I'm not a native speaker, and have to *stop and think* what the last letter of a word might be)...

Reading the messages on the "two back", it occured to me that TB (twist both, two back) might work, but that depends too much on English to be used internationally (and reminds one of tuberculosis, besides <g>)...

There's no confusion at all about the "Cross"; the *term* seems to be used "accross the board", and, even though it doesn't always start with a C in all languages, it does in *most*. In a pinch, it could be substituted by X, and it would still be understood by all (well, "all" as in:"all from the Christian countries"... But that's where *most* of the lace is being made)... I wonder if there isn't, somewhere, a word or a symbol that could be as easily recognised to describe *either* the twist *or* the turn...

"Twist", as translated in Coene's dictionary, can start with almost anything in the European languages (depending on the "dialect" <g>), though most languages have at least one version which *also* starts with a "t" (or a related sound, as the "d" in German). It would seem best, then, to leave it alone... :)

Which leaves the "turn" (*two pairs* moving in a parallel motion, backwards)... I can think of a *symbol* (one so dear to all of us here <g>): //
But a *word* to be reduced to its initial would, I think, be better; words have more "meat" to them than symbols...


-----
Tamara P Duvall
Lexington, Virginia,  USA
Formerly of Warsaw, Poland
http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd/

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to