Good afternoon to Tamara and the Rock Band,

I have been following this thread with a deal of interest, but also thinking
that it is not worth getting excited about, in my very humble, and waiting
to be enlightened opinion!

Usually, if I am purchasing/starting a new pattern, I will look at the
picture, decide whether I want to do whatever stitch has been designated for
each particular bit of the pattern.   If there is a picture, that shows what
the designer thought would work well, and one can usually follow the picture
to use the stitches designated.   If the stitches designated aren't what I
want to use, I completely ignore it!

Similarly, if there isn't a picture, and all I have is the pricking, then
*I* decide what stitches I want to use, and work a sort of sample piece
(maybe what I am working doesn't start as the sample piece, but ends as the
sample because I am not satisfied with the stitches used!) to see how it
turns out.   I tend to be fairly contrary, as I do like to *alter and adapt*
most prickings .... which is why, although I have used some of the patterns
in the Sandi Woods 'Special Effects' book, I certainly haven't used the
colours which are expected.

I also have several times with my class members doled out patterns for those
who want to take part in 'Stitch and Colour' experiments.    The patterns -
all the same - are given out with no accompanying working diagrams or
photographs, and the students are encouraged - and helped if necessary - to
choose their own stitches, and add coloured trails if they wish.  It is
surprising how different the completed articles turn out, when all started
with the same pricking, but they all did their own thing to make items so
different when completed.

I also think that, with some of the books which use the colour codes, there
is a distinct lack of continuity of the lines - some of the lines meant to
represent the threads don't join up to where they are supposed to join -
which makes lefe even more difficult for those trying to follow them.   The
printing process needs to be much refined if colours are going to be used
for the prickings.   Like Tamara says, the colours need to be limited, but
properly drawn, for those that want them - otherwise, people like me will do
our own thing and ignore the good advice!

Carol - in East Anglia UK, where the grey and rainy day has turned into a
pleasant evening.