On Thursday, Dec 11, 2003, at 19:50 US/Eastern, Elizabeth Ligeti wrote:

Yes I certainly do have the Cook book!

Thought you might :) Can't imagine any serious (English speaking) lacemaker *not* having it.

I decided that the Princess Stitch referred to the Venetian cord, with one
worker ,(in Cook), and the thicker Venetian stitch referred to the Grand
Venetian,with 2 workers, so that will most probably be how I make it.

How you work the two is up to you; the reason we have brains is so we can exercise them <g> BUT, if you ever decide to make the lace as Loehr has it diagrammed in the Rundherum booklet, then "her" Venetian cord is *the same* as Cook's Venetian cord (one weaver). Her "Princess stitch" is what Cook calls "Grand Vnetian Cord" (2 weavers, crossing in the middle).

How you *interpret* the pattern is one thing; how you *annotate* the general instructions is quite another matter. If you transpose the two cords, 50 yrs "down the road", someone (inheriting your book) is likely to be hopelessly confused.

Venetian cords are not very common in lace, but they do look nice, if
properly worked.

<g> I seem to have invented one of my own :) In the everlasting "trails converging" ornament (2 "down", one to go on the pillow tomorrow), there are 4 trails (each consisting of 2 pprs and one worker) meeting. I thought first of throwing *all* pairs out before the conjuncton with the remaining 2, but kind-of wanted to keep the metallic workers to incorporate into the final tassel for the more festive look... Ended up with: "buttonhole-stitch around half of the pairs, cross the weavers in the middle" for getting the bunch to the last 2 trails... Not as pretty as Princess (grand Venetian), but sturdy :) I dropped off some of the thick (non-metallic) threads along the way, and had only the 4 metallic pairs left to meet the remaining 2 trails (each consisting of 1 metallic and 2 non-metallic pairs). The cord looks somewhat obscene (narrowing down as the non-metalic pairs were dropped off), but not too bad, in the larger scheme of things; I'm OK with it, if not ecstatically happy :)

----
Tamara P Duvall
Lexington, Virginia,  USA
Formerly of Warsaw, Poland