At 01:27 AM 12/12/2003, you wrote:
In fact whichever way you do it, the first twist lies before the gimp, the
second above and below the gimp, and the third after the gimp. The important
bit is making sure the "gate is shut" each side, ie the first and third twist.

This is a very concise description. You end up with the same basic thread
arrangement no matter which thread is lifted up to tuck the gimp under it. The
difference is the effect on the twists. When the LH thread is lifted, the last twist
is opened and the gimp slides in it. It can no longer be seen or counted *before*
the gimp. When the RH thread is lifted, the last twist stays in place and a new
twist is created with the gimp in it. Because the twist count is not affected,
many gimp instructions specify lifting the RH thread and replacing the thread
to the left of the other thread, then proceed to do the number of twists needed
*after* the gimp. The actual twist that encloses the gimp is not counted either
before or after the gimp.

Back when I started learning Bucks, I spent quite a while analyzing what
seemed like contradictory instructions in different books before I realized that
they all were saying exactly the same thing but in greatly varied viewpoints.
The difference was not the action, rather it was the attempt to describe it in
words. Anyone who has tried to describe an action in just words on this list
can sympathize with the challenge.

Lacemaking can be a challenge but so much fun!  (And my new spellchecker
just tried to change 'lacemaking'  to 'lovemaking'.  It doesn't understand any
thing about lace.  It's not only the tatting lady who needs educated.)

Happy lacing,

Alice -- in very wet Oregon