I'm coming out of lurkdom to say I've just found a useful british website
for learners of picots etc.  I apologise if this site has already been
mentioned.  I haven't been a member very long, although I have been making
lace for a few years.  I would be interested to hear how others make their
picots as my current project has picots and I seem to do them differently
each time I do one :-)

http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace/picot.htm

Jane Bawn in Portchester UK