When Sheila and John Mason visited the Ratti with the panel Mr. Mason
mentioned that Sheila was to appear on "Flog It". Mr. Mason's family has been machine
lace manufacturers in Nottingham for about 8 generations and he has a wealth
of information which he very kindly shared with us about machine made lace.
Having been apprenticed at the age of 14 in the business he knows a great deal
about lace manufacture in Nottingham generally. I hope they had as good a time
as we did.
However, an interesting question has arisen. What is the market value of
exceptional machine made lace?
I had originally contacted Sheila because I was contacted by a man who owns a
panel called The Lace Merchant. It is a large machine made panel which comes
with a parchment saying it won First Prize at the Worlds Fair in Lyon in 1893.
This piece was pictured in a book by David Schwab, The Story of Lace and
Handkerchiefs. The piece formerly belonged to Mr. Schwab. The owner thought it
might be quite valuble and wanted to establish a value. Unfortunately we were
unable to do this. Values attributable to handmade lace don't seem to apply and
no one I talked to knew of anything to compare it to that had sold recently. A
few telephone inquiries brought opinions varying from "not worth much" because
it may have been mass produced, to "I saw a documentary in which Quaker Lace
tablecloths were being sold for $30,000 at auction". The Metropolitan Museum
of Art also has a copy of this panel, but Sheila Mason had never seen it
before. Our copy was donated by a well-known lace manufacturer. Sheila Mason felt
the panel was produced only in very small quantity and thought it might be
fairly valuble. It was made on a Pusher machine, which hasn't been used for a long
time and is really quite an elaborate piece, being a single picture about 30"
by 55". It shows a 18th century lace merchant showing lace to a lady. There
are many different laces displayed, all reproduced by machine. However, even
Sheila could not provide a monetary value, saying the only way to tell would be
to put it up for auction. Machine lace is still emerging as a valuble entity
and many museums don't even have machine made lace in their collections,
although the Met has about 60 examples, some of them quite exceptional. One is a
portrait of George Washington and one has a locomotive, light bulbs and all sorts
of other symbols of progress on it. One depicts the Spirit of St. Louis and
one has Charlie Chaplin and his dog on it.
Does anybody have any thoughts about machine made lace and value as a
collectible?
Devon