then using a glue stick on the right side of
the pattern, stick it to x ray plate. You could use us
all the old xrays you had lying around or get waste
plates from the local hospital through contacts.

Hi Jan -

I think the situation is reversed now - you can get sticky film but can you still get X-Ray plates?

One of my friends is in charge of hospital supplies for this area, and she gets a big laugh out of the TV hospital shows where the doctor is shown putting an X-Ray up onto a viewer - apparently our hospitals haven't used this technology since the 80s - there just aren't many X-Ray films around any more, and with the new technology the images are made directly into computer files. From your message ("you could use up all the old xrays you had lying around") it seems to me that in England people must be given their X-Rays as a matter of course - that doesn't happen here - they're kept in the medical system, and if you change doctors your old doctor sends your file directly to your new doctor without you ever getting your hands on it. So maybe in England and other places people have always had more xray plates available to them than we do here.

Speaking of using found materials for lacemaking, I recently have started cutting up shopping bags for needle lace - I have a local art supply store that uses a thin synthetic vellum for their bags, and it makes an excellent surface for needle lace. This material is similar to the semi-transparent vellum sheets they sell in Michael's and other craft stores for making scrapbooks or greeting cards. The sheet is smooth, slippery, and hard enough that your needle doesn't go through accidentally, but it's also thin enough to sew through for laying the cordonnet, and you can draw the design on the back with a pen and see through the vellum to the design. (I still use the cloth backing underneath the synthetic vellum).

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)