Clay wrote:

<There's a lacemakers "ham" on ebay right now!  I suppose the
unitiated might confuse our pillow with the sewing ham...
But the asking price!?  WHEW!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2586351474&category=2219>

I note the seller will provide a "Letter of authenticity and appraisal" on
their own headed notepaper. That's no authentication at all even if they do
know something about lacemaking, which doesn't seem likely if they think
someone will pay that kind of money for it. I wonder what makes them think
that it's Scottish.

The pillow looks more like a cushion from a sofa or chair (perhaps it's
stuffed with horsehair), if the pricking is "leather" it's most likely
velum, the pillow horse is commonly seen on photographs of the East Midlands
with bolster pillows on, the bobbins are East Midlands and there aren't
enough of them for the piece of lace "in the making", and why would
Bedfordshire/Maltese lace make its way to Scotland in the 19th Century?

I'm no lace historian (or historian of any kind come to that), but I always
thought Scotland was most noted for weaving tweed and tartan, Shetland lace
knitting and Fair Isles knitting. If bobbin lacemaking did take place it
must have been in isolated pockets.

I'd want to see documentary evidence that this did come from Scotland, but
the seller's blurb doesn't give the impression that any exists.

Jean in Poole