Alice wrote:
<Maybe I missed it, but there's one point about framing lace that I didn't  see
mentioned.

The glass must NOT touch the lace.  If glass is put on the frame, there must be enough
spacers between the backing and the glass to hold the glass away from the lace.  >

I have one of my first pieces of Russian tape lace sandwiched between two pieces of
glass with a red stained glass border.  Both pieces of glass hold the lace in place.
This has hung in my south east facing kitchen window for over six years through many
heatwaves and the thread does not show any sign of deterioration or discoloration.

When I mount some of my pieces I do it directly onto the acid free mattboard.  I take
my piece to the craft shop and choose the appropriate mattboard color.  I then lay my
used pricking card over it, reverse way up if I am working a piece with the front face
down, and position it where I want to attach my piece.  I prick through both cards in
as many places as I think I need to attach the lace firmly, then I used similar thread
to sew it down through the card, reusing the hole to go up from the back, over a
thread and back down through the same hole, then on to the next hole.  I sometimes
change the color of thread if the piece is multicolored.  I have no worry about
stretching the piece out of shape as I might on a piece of cloth and I have not so
far, touch wood, had a problem with shrinkage of the piece so as not to be able to use
the above method.  I also know that the mattboard will probably fit the frame I choose
as it replaces the piece of card that is usually in the f
 rame.  I
 do use extra mattboard to keep the lace from touching the frame or use spacers that
you can get from the craft store to keep the mattboard off the glass.

Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, IL where the snow is melting but it is still cold.  Brrr..