Helen
When I teach beginners I usually have them work in color because I think it
helps them understand the structure more easily and it helps them see the
consequences of each stitch they make.  They understand how a certain series
of stitches produces a certain thread path. And if they lose their place I
just say what color is your weaver pair, and where is your weaver?   For
this reason I teach CTC, then TCTC (or CTCT) and save half stitch for last.
The reason is that in CTC and CTCT the colors stay together and the same
pair continues as weaver.  But in half stitch the colors split up and I find
that this upsets beginners.  So I teach it last of the 3.  I also show them
how adding an extra twist on the weaver at the edge pin keeps the same
weaver thread.  And I explain how this is useful to know if they find that a
potential weaver bobbin is low on thread.  An extra twist can be used to
select a weaver bobbin which has enough thread.
Lorelei