Hello Spiders,

I have twin 12-year-old boys and both of them made lace ornaments this year. One of them started making lace about two years ago and I started him on a 'bandage'. That took him less than an hour to master. Then I had him make a half stitch snake which was a little harder but he picked it up fairly quickly. The next thing he did was a small lace gingerman (from an Anna magazine) for Christmas 2002. It was a tape lace piece with extra twists between passives to separate the edges from the middle. I had to do some of the corners and sewings because I didn't have the time to teach him all that at that time of year. This year he wanted to do another one, so he did - again with a little help from me. My other son decided he wanted to do an ornament as well so I just started him on a tape lace sleigh (with me doing the corners and sewings). There was no way I had time to teach him on any practice pieces as I was busy making our Christmas gifts. Well, he did a beautiful job. He picked up the stitches very quickly and his tension was PERFECT. So never underestimate what a child can do!

Happy lacing,
Cindy - in cold, windy Wisconsin