Sharon,

Sorry for writing back so late after the post but I'm still trawling
through the 190 emails after being away for only 5 days.

I have used the snake book mark as a beginners project for the past 10
years for the simple reasons - 1) using different colours allows the
lacemaker to see if they twist pairs, 2) the thick thread means that it
makes up easily in only 1 or 2 sessions, 3) because the exact amount of
thread is quoted it makes it easy for the beginner to pull off the right
amount of thread and gives that safety net so that they don't worry
about running out, 4) nothing in the world would induce me to do the
worm bandages after suffering 2 months of them myself.

I can only think of 2 points that have caused concern and I've over come
those - 1) I add the eyes for most lace makers - but some can quickly
see how to do it after you show one, 2) you must ensure that the pattern
is correctly placed on the pillow if they are using an 18" one as often
they put the pattern on too low and have no room at the base.

Once they have completed their first snake in whole (cloth) stich, most
go on to make another in mixed whole and half stich.

Another great source of starter patterns for inserts etc in thicker
thread and colour is the red torchon book by - is it Bridget Cook?  Its
the one with the table cloth at the end.

Regards

Liz