I have returned to the web page of the Keystone Lace Guild (having not yet
received my bulletin) and have found a few more things that I think might be
interesting.
1. There are a lot of teachers from outside the US. Personally, I like the
convention to feature teachers you don't see all the time at regional events.
Jean Leader, prominent in the UK Lace Guild is teaching as well as Angela
Thompson, Gillian Dye and Sandi Woods . These people are well-known in the UK and
authors and it might be nice to get to know them better. I am quite interested
to meet Diane Claeys of Belgium. Yvonne Scheele-Kerkhof I know only from her
Withof book which is one of my most well-thumbed. Also I see Jutta Klein of
Germany is teaching. She is one of the authors listed on the book Geklopelte
Metallspitzen and hails from the Deutscher Kloppelverband. The Deutscher
Kloppelverband is a very serious organization that produces marvelous books, rarely in
English, and it is a group that we have all too little contact with. There are
several Australian teachers that I don't think we have seen before. There is
even a woman from Thailand teaching several courses involving silk. Perhaps
this convention will be one in which people make more international lace
connections, which is one of the things I like most about arachne.
2. From the US I see some people who haven't taught before as far as I know.
Bobbi Chase is teaching Princess lace. She is a well-known teacher for the
EGA. As workshop chairman for the Metro Chapter I had her teach Princess lace and
I was blown away by the accompanying materials and the professionalism of the
lesson. Karen Thompson and Sheryl De Jong will be teaching. I have never met
Karen, but from the exquisite laboriousness of the materials at the
Smithsonian Tour, I know that a 6 page application would present no challenge to her.
Sheryl is presenting a class on Ipswich lace which is something I have not seen
offered at a convention before. Fellow arachnean Jane Viking-Swanson is
teaching as well.
3. The possibility exists that for people who want to do use their week to
take as much lace instruction as possible, they can take close to 40 hours of
instruction whereas in previous conventions the maximium was 24.
4. The various different packages are actually offering the attendees the
option of saving money by paying only for those things they actually want to do.
Often one hears from attendees that they are on a budget and would prefer to
pay only for those luncheons, classes etc. that they truly want to attend
rather than having to buy an entire week long package. The organizers are offering
this option. In fact, the green option, seems to be a total a la carte option.

I think we are all going to owe a debt of gratitude to the Keystone Lace
Guild for trying some new things. Maybe some of them won't work out. Maybe we will
never go back to certain other practices. It would be a shame if they all
lost their houses and credit ratings for trying a few new things.
Devon